Friend Us!
info@couture.com.tr
009-0532-365-0247

The Beylerbeyi Palace

The Beylerbeyi Palace was built by the order of Sultan Abdulaziz in the Uskudar district between 1861 and 1865. The palace was actually built on a land that was used as a grove by the Byzantines too.

 The Un-shareable Land

There were quite a lot of structures before in the location where the Beylerbeyi Palace was built. So the palace is not the first historical building to take place on these precious lands. Some of the former structures are; Gevher Sultan Palace, Sevkabad Pavilion, Ferahabad Palace and Ferahfaza Palace. During the time of Mustafa the 3rd these structures were destroyed and the land was sold to common people. Afterwards, Mahmud the 2nd bought back the lands that Mustafa the 3rd sold and built an amazing wooden structure.

 Was It Damned?

The wooden building that Sultan Mahmud the 2nd built burned while Sultan Abdulmecid was in it. Sultan Abdulmecit was very young when this happened, fortunately, nothing happened to the little Sultan. However, no one ever set foot on the building thinking it was damned.

This wooden building was destroyed and later it took its last form as the Beylerbeyi Palace.

 The Structural Appearance Of Beylerbeyi Palace

 Inside the Beylerbeyi Palace, there are 6 different facilities. These are The Summer Palace, The Marble Mansion, The Yellow Mansion, the stables and two small seaside mansions.The Beylerbeyi Palace is designed by head architect Sarkis Balyan and his brother Agop Balyan in French neo-baroque style with a traditional Ottoman plan. It has a rectangular plan with the long side facing the water and consists of six halls and twenty-four rooms on two floors raised on a service basement. The six halls, three on each floor, are lined up along the longitudinal axis from southwest to northeast. The Beylerbeyi Palace also has 24 rooms, 1 hamam and 1 bathroom.

The Beylerbeyi Palace is designed by head architect Sarkis Balyan and his brother Agop Balyan in French neo-baroque style with a traditional Ottoman plan. It has a rectangular plan with the long side facing the water and consists of six halls and twenty-four rooms on two floors raised on a service basement. The six halls, three on each floor, are lined up along the longitudinal axis from southwest to northeast. The Beylerbeyi Palace also has 24 rooms, 1 hamam and 1 bathroom.

The most interesting part of this particular structure is that it has a pool which obtains its water from the sea itself.

The interior design was led by Sultan Abdulaziz, his passion for the sea can be seen on the roof of the palace.

 The Guests

Empress Eugénie of France, during her visit to Istanbul in 1869, stayed at the Beylerbeyi harem; Emperor Joseph of Austro-Hungary, Shah Nasireddin of Iran, Prince Nicholas of Montenegro and Crown Prince Oscar of Sweden were also hosted at this palace. After the foundation of the Turkish Republic, Atatürk’s guests were hosted in this palace as well. It has since been transformed into a museum and is one of the most important historical buildings located in Istanbul.

 When To Visit

The palace is open to visitors from Monday to Thursday.