The name of the synagogue comes from the street of the synagogue: Zulf-U Arus. ‘’Zulf-u Arus’’ in old Turkish means the fringe of a bride. The Zulfaris synagogue, constructed in 1823, was recorded as Kal Kados Galata. This temple was constructed in the place of another synagogue from 1671. The building of today was opened on 31st of October in 1823.On September 1979, the synagogue was given to the Jewish congregation of Edirne. Later in the same year the temple was shut down.
In 1992, because of the celebration of the 500th anniversary of the Jewish migration from Spain during the Inquisition it was restored to be the Jewish Museum. The museum was opened on 25 November 2001.