The museum was the first Turkish museum to collect Turkish and Islamic Works of art. In 1914 the museum was opened to visitors under the name of “ The Islamic Foundation Museum”. After the Republic was declared, the name was changed to “The Turkish and Islamic Arts Museum”.
Since 1983 the museum has occupied the 16th century building on the west side of Sultanahmet Square, in Istanbul. The building, formerly the palace of Ibrahim Pasha, is one of the most important examples of 16th century Ottoman architecture.Today, it is a museum with prestigious awards and great history.