The Archaeological museum, under the jurisdiction of the Directship of the Turkish Ministry of Culture, for Monuments and Museum, is in the district of Sultanahmet. After its opening on June 13, 1891 the Archaeological Museum expanded its collection rapidly.
The museum consist of two seperate buildings. The first one being the main building, its constructions began in 1891 by Osman Hamdi Bey. The second one is the new building, located to the southeast of the main building.
In 1991, on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the founding of the museum, it received the museum award of the European Council for the reorganization of the lowerfloor and exhibitions of the new building.