Its old and original name is the Church of St. Saviour in Chora and as soon as it is night, those who see the striking colours, which gush from the mosaics, do not know what has hit them. Hames of lavender blue, oleander pink, star yellow and moon white rise from the thousands of mosaics in the church.
The Kariye Church has a past dating back to the 6th century. Its present state is the result of restoration done in the Ottoman period and the second half of the 20th century. The church is the only remaining part of a monastery complex, dedicated to Jesus Christ, the Messiah. It was constructed first as a monastery in 534 by St. Theodius in the time of Justinanus and was reconstructed by Marina Doukanina. Saolly, it was left in ruins after the Latin invasion in the years 1204-1261. The monastery was restored by Theodoros Metokhites a hundred years later.the importance of the complex was increades when the emperor moved to Blakena Palace on the shore of the emporer moved to Blakena Palace on the shore of the Golden Horn near the city walls.
After surviving the great earthquake of 1296, it was converted into a mosque in 1511 58 years later when Istanbul was conquered by Ottoman Empire. Today it serves as the Kariye Museum.